Theme: Interpreting and Technology: Interplay and Transformation
Dates: 7-9 December 2022
Format: Onsite at Hong Kong Baptist University AND Online
The field of interpreting is facing a moment of great transformation not witnessed since the advent of simultaneous interpreting. The development of the technology for remote interpreting (including remote simultaneous interpreting, RSI, and video remote interpreting, VRI), computer-aided interpreting (CAI) and machine interpreting (MI) has the potential of forever changing the practice and the profession of interpreting. While technology is reshaping how interpreters work, new demands on the work of interpreters and interpreter-mediated events are also spurring new developments in technology. This interplay between technology and interpreting has impacted and enriched the field not only in the practice of interpreting, but has also inspired new research topics. Riding on this exciting new wave and continuing our tradition of having a targeted theme, we aspire to use the “Third Hong Kong Baptist University International Conference on Interpreting” to bring together scholars, practitioners and technology developers to discuss the impact of and the promise brought by technology.
The programme of the two full-day conference will include plenary speeches, presentations, as well as a Roundtable in which a group of researchers, interpreters, representatives from the industry or employers discuss the topic of interpreting and technology and how their roles and work have been shaped by technology.
A pre-conference Workshop in which the technology of CAI and RSI, presented by selected platform developers, will be discussed and demonstrated.
- Sabine Braun (University of Surrey)
- Claudio Fantinuoli (University of Mainz)
We welcome presentations on both basic and applied research that fit the sub-themes of the conference or that are related to the conference theme in a broader sense.
- Computer-assisted interpreting (CAI)
- Remote interpreting (RI)
- Machine interpreting (MI)
- Respeaking and automatic speech recognition (ASR)
- Economy of interpreting-related technology
- Ergonomics (physical and cognitive) of interpreting-related technology
- Terminology and knowledge management technology
- Impact of technology on the interpreting profession (e.g., working conditions, status, market)
- Impact of technology on the psychological or affective aspects of interpreting
- Impact of technology on interpreter-mediated interaction
- Automated assessment of interpreting quality
- Technology in interpreter education and training
- Technology in research on interpreting
- Future trends in interpreting-related technology
We invite submissions of abstracts for 20-minute presentations and posters. Each abstract will be peer-reviewed by at least two members of the Programme Committee.
Conference language: English
Submissions must include the following information:
- name of author(s)
- institutional affiliation
- email address(es)
- title of presentation
- four to five keywords
- abstract of 400-500 words
- author biography of 50 to 100 words
Submission Link (Submission Deadline: 30 April 2022)
Conference website: https://ctn.hkbu.edu.hk/interpreting_conf2022/
For enquires, please write to email@example.com.
**Conference Contingency Plan**
We are eager to meet our participants in person on the campus of Hong Kong Baptist University, but we will be monitoring the situation in Hong Kong to ensure the safety of all participants. If the Covid-19 pandemic persists and entry into Hong Kong or campus activities are restricted, the conference will be held solely online. We will provide details by email and on our website if this unfortunate scenario comes to pass.