- Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Translation, Interpreting and Intercultural Studies, Hong Kong Baptist University
- Hong Kong Chapter, International Medical Interpreters Association
- Ph.D. in Linguistics, Lancaster University, U.K.
- M.A. in Applied Linguistics, Durham University, U.K.
- Hon. Dip. in English Language & Literature, Hong Kong Baptist College
- ‘Medical care for the marginalized population’, International Visiting Leadership Programme, Feb, 2017 by the US Embassy, Hong Kong.
- Knowledge Transfer Award, 2014, by the Knowledge Transfer Office of Hong Kong Baptist University.
- 【「2013 年傑出社企導師大獎」】 “Outstanding Mentor of SE 2013” for the Friends of Social Enterprises Award Scheme, awarded by the Home Affairs Department, for the Medical Interpreting Training Courses for the ethnic minorities interpreters in Hong Kong.
- President’s Award for Outstanding Performance 2003: Teaching Excellence Award
I have taught various courses in translation and interpreting studies using mainly a student-oriented approach. I also supervise projects at BA, MA and Ph.D levels. The courses that I have taught at HKBU include the following:
– Professional Studies
– Placement Portfolio
– Interpreting (Levels I to IV)
– Legal & Government Document Translation
– Research Methods for Translation Studies
– Practical Translation
– Linguistics for Translators
– Research Methodology
– Essential Readings
|Forthcoming||‘Medical Interpreting as an Emerging Profession’ in E. Ng & I. Crezee (Eds.) Interpreting in Legal and Healthcare Settings: Perspectives on Research and Practices. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.|
|2017||‘The Jurisprudence and Administration of Legal Interpreting in Hong Kong (1966-2016)’ in International Journal for the Semiotics of Law. DOI 10.1007/s11196-017-9535-8, ISSN 0952-8059. The final publication is available at link.springer.com.|
|2017||《法庭的語言鑑證》(Forensic Linguistics in Court) published by Commercial Press, Hong Kong.|
|2015||‘What can a bilingual corpus tell us about the translation and interpretation of rape trials?’ in International Journal for the Semiotics of Law, Vol. 28, Issue (3). US: Springer. 469-483.|
|2013||“A converted interpreting trainer’s response” in Winston & Monikowski (Eds) Evolving Paradigms in Interpreter Education, Washington: Gallaudet University Press. 82-86.|
|2009||With J. Gibbons. “Utterance particles in Cantonese Courtroom Discourse”. International Journal of Research and Practice in Interpreting. Amsterdam: John Benjamins. 11(2) 190-215.|
|2008||“Interpreting for the minority, interpreting for the authority” in Gibbons & Turell (Eds) Dimensions of Forensic Linguistics, Amsterdam: John Benjamins. 197-214.|
With John Gibbons. “Who is responsible? Participant roles in legal interpreting cases”. Multilingua. Vol 27. 177-191. Amsterdam : Mouton Publishers.
|2007||“法律语篇中的语言操控与失控”，《外語與翻譯》。 中國：中南大學外國語學院。2007 年， 第二期，14-19 頁。|
I have adopted the principle and perspective that research is a form of social action, and by research that we can change the society for the better. Therefore, I have conducted researches that addressed particular social issues such as medical interpreting for the ethnic minorities, and legal interpreting of sexual offences cases. I have also pioneered medical interpreting training courses, and medical and legal interpreting trainer courses for the ethnic minority interpreters. I also believe that knowledge should be explored and accessed by the society at large not just shared within the academic community, and therefore, have been engaged in research and publication activities that involve different stakeholders of the interpreting industry by using the participatory action research framework, and disseminating results of the research in forms of workshops, seminars, training courses, journal articles as well as narratives using story-telling techniques.
- Medical and Legal Interpreting
- Discourse Analysis
- Forensic Linguistics
- Coordinate and coach students to interpret for the TEDx in Hong Kong 2014, 2015.
- Coordinate and coach students to interpret for the annual Children’s Council (2005-2015).
- Coordinate and coach students to interpret for the Equestrian Olympic Games, 2008.
- Coordinator and Interpreter for the “Golden Jubilee Forum: Pathway to Creativity”, Hong Kong Baptist University, Oct 8, 2006.
- Translation of the English subtitle of 6 video recordings for the Hong Kong Liver Transplant Patients’ Association. Educational material produced by the Association for the public on drug abuse, weight loss, alcoholism, and unprotected sexual activities.
- Translation of 曹乃謙, （貴舉和他的白脖兒）(Guiju and his White Neck) for the International Writers Workshop, 2005.
- Translation of〈清朝破產律〉 collected in Tang, (2004) A. Insolvency Practice in Hong Kong and China. Hong Kong: Sweet & Maxwell (Asia).